An independent, international research institute with National Member Organizations in 22 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Europe. It seeks to become “the world leader in systems analysis to find solutions to global problems for the benefit of humankind.” It conducts policy-oriented research into issues that are too large or complex to be solved by a single country or academic discipline. This includes pressing concerns that affect the future of all of humanity, such as climate change, energy security, population aging, and sustainable development. Runs a Young Scientists Program and the IIASA Postdoctoral Program.
Major Research Initiatives:
- The World in 2050 – A global research initiative in support of a successful implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda that founded together with the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), and the Stockholm Resilience Centre (SRC).
- Integrated Solutions for Water, Energy, and Land – Explores cost-effective solutions to jointly meet water, land and energy demands under different development and climate pathways.
- Systems Analysis Forum – Facilitates and catalyzes methodological advances needed to innovate the interdisciplinary and integrated perspectives lying at the core of the IIASA research agenda. Applied systems analyses build on mathematical models and computational techniques for describing and analyzing complex systems.
- Futures Initiatives – Cross-sectoral projects designed to explore plausible futures for a number of the world’s rapidly transitioning regions or resources. Current futures cover: 1) Global Energy Assessment to facilitate equitable and sustainable energy services for all; 2) Arctic Futures Initiative – a “holistic assessment” of “the vast and rapid transformation taking place”; 3) Water Futures and Solutions local, national, global; 4) Tropical Futures Initiative to tackle deforestation; 5) Eurasian Economic Integration to explore opportunities for integration.
- Annual reports
- Media Center with news, blogs, press coverage, multimedia, articles, etc.
- Policy Briefs – 21 issues so far
- Infographics, charts, and maps
- A collection of major models, research tools, and databases
- PURE – The institutional Publication Repository containing 10,000+ academic papers, books, book chapters, preprints, postprints, reports, and conference items published 1973.
- Options – A biannual magazine that presents the latest research for a non-specialist audience