Until 2007 known as the Carnegie Institution of Washington, it was founded as a non-profit for scientific discovery, “to encourage, in the broadest and most liberal manner, investigation, research, and discovery and the application of knowledge to the improvement of mankind”.
- The Department of Embryology, in Baltimore, MD, (Genetics & Developmental Biology); Yixian Zheng, Director
- The Geophysical Laboratory, in Washington, DC, (Earth & Planetary Science and Matter at Extreme States); Michael Walter, Director
- The Department of Global Ecology, in Stanford, CA, (Global Ecology); Joe Berry, Acting Director
- The Observatories, in Pasadena, CA, (Astronomy); John Mulchaey, Director
- The Department of Plant Biology, in Stanford, CA, (Plant Science); Zhiyong Wang, Acting Director
- The Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, in Washington, DC, (Astronomy & Earth and Planetary Science); Rick Carlson, Director