Providing independent expertise on military security issues, especially in the field of nuclear and conventional disarmament and arms control, non-proliferation, and NATO-Russian relations. Their “goal is to promote cooperative security by stimulating a constructive dialogue within and between governments, political parties, organizations and NGOs.”
Topics of interest include NATO European Union (EU) and Western European Union (WEU) and UN activities, Russian security policy, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), conventional and nuclear arms control disarmament policies, Mediterranean security, nuclear weapons in Europe, weapons trade, small arms and landmines, and non-proliferation policies
- The Project on Promoting Asian-European Dialogue
- The Arms Trade and Small Arms Project: Researches arms trade issues and explores options for arms control and disarmament.
- Actiongroup Landmine.de: Calls for a ban on all landmines and cluster munitions and a sustainable support of all victims of these weapons.
- The Network for Transatlantic Security (NETS) – Founded by BITS, NETS is a coalition focusing on the security issues confronting Europe. Their partner organizations are the British American Security Information Council (BASIC) the Center for European Security and Disarmament (CESD), the International Security Information Service’s (ISIS), and the Swedish Peace and Arbitration Society (SPAS). NETS has additional individual participants and correspondents in a number of European countries.
- Project on European Nuclear Non-proliferation (PENN) – An international network of research institutions, NGOs and individuals that cooperate in influencing the political and public debates on nuclear weapons and disarmament in Europe and other aspects of European security. The underlying aim is to create favorable conditions for nuclear disarmament and cooperative security in Europe.
- News and press releases
- Research reports, research notes, policy notes, briefing notes,
- Databases and Archives