United States Climate Alliance
(2017; Washington; 2 staff; usclimatealliance.org)
Governors of 13 states and Puerto Rico seek to uphold the Paris climate accord with policies to fight global warming. States include California, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington. The UN Foundation houses the Alliance’s Secretariat. Implements policies that advance the goals of the Paris Agreement, aiming to reduce greenhouse gas emission by at least 26-28 percent below 2005 levels by 2025.
- Reducing Super Pollutants by phasing down hydrofluorocarbons, capturing and putting waste methane to work, and addressing super emitters.
- Mobilizing Financing for Climate Projects via a Green Banking Initiative.
- Grid Modernization to expand the adoption of innovative approaches to utility planning that can meet electricity demand while avoiding build-out of traditional electric transmission and distribution infrastructure.
- Renewable Energy via a Solar Soft Costs Initiative to drive down the non-hardware “soft costs” of solar.
- Building Resilient Communities and Infrastructure is working to build greater resiliency of its communities, including by fundamentally changing the way infrastructure is designed and procured
- Increasing Carbon Storage in our Landscapes – the member states are pursuing opportunities to increase carbon storage in forests, farms, and ecosystems, and are launching a new initiative to identify best practices for land conservation, management and restoration to develop a carbon storage policy framework for implementation.
- Deploying Clean Transportation – An initiative to accelerate deployment of zero-emissions vehicles, expand and improve mass transit and active transportation choices, and implement other measures for moving towards zero-emission vehicle miles travelled.
- Annual reports
- Playbooks, roadmaps, and guidebooks
- State best practice climate and energy policies
- Climate Clearinghouse – aggregates climate tools, data, and information for use by policymakers and the public
- Talanoa Dialogue – An international conversation in which countries will check progress and seek to increase global ambition to meet the goals of the Paris Climate Change Agreement
Leadership: Julie Cerqueira (Executive Director)