Good Food Institute, The (Washington; ~50 staff, ~20 volunteers; gfi.org )
A non-profit that aims to create “a Healthy, Humane, and Sustainable Food Supply.” Works with scientists, investors, and entrepreneurs, with a focus on clean meat and plant-based alternatives to animal products.
- Provides marketing, design, legal, business, media, and other support to a select number of early-stage companies producing clean and plant-based products.
- Helps established companies with ‘good’ products to succeed in the marketplace by mobilizing millions of supportive consumers to encourage their sale in stores, restaurants, and foodservice outlets.
- Connects students, scientists, and entrepreneurs with jobs and opportunities in the academic and for-profit sectors.
- Educates grant-making institutions, corporations, and governmental bodies about plant-based and clean meat R&D as a critical component of endeavors related to sustainability, climate change, and global health.
- Works with restaurants, grocery stores, and food service companies to increase availability of plant-based options on menus, in grocery stores, and in cafeterias.
- 361 Entrepreneurs in GFIdeas Community and 100+ Plant-based and clean meat entrepreneurs that are receiving strategic and technical support in 2017.
- Annual Report
- Academic papers and essential readings
- Videos and audio
- An Ocean of Opportunity Action Paper – The welfare of billions of people—and indeed the stability of life on earth—depend on vibrant, healthy oceans. Overfishing across the globe has driven numerous species to extinction and ocean ecosystems to the point of collapse.
Leadership: Bruce Friedrich (Co-Founder, Executive Director)
Budget: ~$3m (2016)