African Development Bank
(1964; Abidjan, Ivory Coast + 35 regional offices; 1,744 staff; afdb.org/en/)
This multilateral financial institution is devoted to improve the livelihoods of the people in its 38 African beneficiary countries. Overall the bank has 80 members, many from outside of Africa.
- Houses over 1000 ongoing or approved projects all over the African continent. Many deal with sustainable living and mitigating or alleviating environmental stresses.
- Drought Resilience in Sudan
- Climate Adaptation for Rural Livelihoods and Agriculture (CARLA)
- Desert to Power (DtP) – Initiated in 2017 “to light up and power the Sahel by building electricity generation capacity of 10 GW through photovoltaic (PV) solar systems via public, private, grid and off-grid projects by 2025”
- Drought Resilience and Sustainable Livelihoods Programme (DRSLP) – aims to “develop regional systems to alleviate the negative impacts caused by the deteriorating environmental conditions in the Horn of Africa.”
- A library of 18,000+ documents including annual reports, meeting documentation, evaluations, reports, etc.
- MapAfrica – An interactive map that shows the locations of the Bank’s investments in Africa.
- A data portal with data on their work, member states, and the African economy
Leadership: Akinwumi Adesina
Budget: ~$426m (2017)