Thee UNFPA’s vision is “a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe, and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.” Focuses especially on women’s reproductive rights and gender equity.
Areas of concern:
- Population and development strategy (migration, aging, climate change, urbanization)
- Sexual and reproductive health (voluntary family planning: some 220 million women worldwide who wish to delay or avoid pregnancy lack access to effective contraception)
- Gender equality and women’s empowerment (strong emphasis on human rights)
- Adolescents and youth (one-quarter of world’s population: 1.8 billion)
- Media content
- A data bank on world population, gender equity, and child protection
- A library of reports, handbooks, overviews etc.
- Humanitarian Action 2020 Overview (Feb 2020, 27p) – An annual report that reviews the humanitarian action undertaken by the UNFPA.
- State of World Population 2019 (Feb 2020, 180p) – An annual report thata reviews the state of equality and development taround the world. It especially focuses on women’s empowerment, sexual and reproductive health, and rights and sustainable development.
- COVID-19: A Gender Lens (March 2020, 8p) – A technical brief that focuses on protecting sexual and reproductive health and rights, and promoting gender equality, amid pandemic crisis. E.g. pandemics worsen existing inequalities for women and girls.