TomKat Charitable Trust (2009; San Francisco; tomkatfoundation.org)
Founded in 2009 and based in San Francisco, this fund supports clean energy development and sustainable living. Aside from energy, Tom Steyer and Kathryn Taylor, trust founders, are also invested in healthy foods and sustainable food systems, education and environmentalism, but their biggest giving to date has gone to energy and climate issues.
“Good money, good food, and good energy” is their descriptor for what they fund, in the form of partnerships with banking, agricultural, and energy organizations.
- Beneficial State Foundation engages in charitable and educational activities
- TomKat Ranch Educational Foundation (TKREF) is a learning lab for sustainable agriculture
- The Center for Ecoliteracy is a nonprofit that advances ecological education in K–12 schools
- Point Blue’s mission is to advance the conservation of birds, other wildlife and ecosystems through science, partnerships and outreach
- Advanced Energy Economy Institute (AEEI) seeks to raise awareness of the public benefits and opportunities of advanced energy
- Next Generation promotes solutions to climate change and the threat of diminished prospects for children and families
Leadership: Tom Steyer
Budget: The organization is funded through the philanthropy of Tom Steyer; functional expenses of the trust in 2015 came to $12,863,054.