The nonprofit membership organization is “dedicated to improving and protecting our coral reef ecosystem”. To this end, they focus on “rigorous science to educate the public & advocacy toward policymakers to;
- achieve conservation, protection, and restoration of coral reefs,
- increase “public awareness of the importance and value of living coral reef ecosystems
- increase scientific understanding and knowledge of living coral reef ecosystems
- strengthen grassroots community-based efforts to protect coral reef ecosystems
- design, develop, support, and implement strategies for marine protected areas associated with coral reef ecosystems
- encourage and support eco-tourism as part of sustainable community development that protects and preserves coral reef ecosystems.