An international open source scientific journal of the European Geoscience Union that takes a broad perspective of the functioning of the whole Earth system and global change. They employ an open-access peer-review process that employs two stages.
In the first stage, papers that pass a rapid access peer review by the editorial board are immediately published on the ESD website. They are then subject to interactive public discussion, during which the referees’ comments (anonymous or attributed), additional short comments by other members of the scientific community (attributed), and the authors’ replies are also published in ESD.
In the second stage, after the peer-review process is completed, the accepted and revised papers are published in ESD.
- Dynamics of the Earth system – Novel concepts and theories and their application to better understand the nature of the Earth as a complex, coupled system and experimental work of dynamic self-regulating systems relevant to Earth system functioning; historical and philosophical perspectives of Earth system theory; models to describe and predict the dynamics of the whole Earth system; and studies on the importance of interactions between component systems.
- Earth system change – Theoretical studies of interactions, feedbacks and change; scenarios of future climatic change, and climate predictions.
- Earth system interactions with the biosphere – Mechanisms of ecosystem–Earth system interactions; conceptual models of life–Earth co-evolution; simulation of biogeochemical cycles within an Earth system context.
- Management of the Earth system – Studies on carbon sequestration and management; effects of land cover change on climate and associated impacts and feedbacks; engineering responses to mitigate climatic change; integrated assessment of Earth system change; sustainability studies; quantification and impacts of renewable energy use; food security and water resources within an Earth system context.
- Articles, special issues,