An element of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which included a commitment that liberalization of trade and economic growth in North America would be accompanied by effective cooperation in and continuous improvement of environmental protection in all three countries. It facilitates collaboration and public participation to foster conservation, protection and enhancement of the North American environment in the context of increasing economic, trade, and social links among Canada, Mexico, and the United States. They facilitated 390+ Projects and offered 262 grants.
- Climate change, e.g., measuring and mitigating food loss and waste;
- Ecosystems, e.g., Monarch butterfly and pollinator conservation;
- Green economy, e.g., Reducing pollution from maritime transport;
- Pollutants, e.g., Building community solutions to marine litter;
- Enforcement of regulations and laws e.g. sustainable trade of products and animals.
- Virtual library with 450+ project reports, background papers, brochures, factual records, etc.
- The Green Building Library
- Provides a wide variety of online tools (e.g., North American Initiatives on Food and Organic Waste)
- Data bases like the North American Environmental Atlas, Taking Stock Online, North American Portal on Climate Pollutants, and North American Land Change Monitoring System.
HIGHLIGHT: Series Taking Stock: North American Pollutant Releases and Transfers – recent Vol. 15 154 pp.