Seeks to conduct high-quality, independent research and to provide innovative, practical recommendations that strengthen US democracy, foster economic and social welfare of all Americans, and secure “a more open, safe, prosperous and cooperative international system.” It brings together >300 leading experts in government and academia from all over the world.
- Arms Control and Non-Proliferation Initiative
- Climate and Energy Economics Project
- Cross-Brookings Initiative on Energy and Climate
- Energy Security and Climate Initiative
- The New Geopolitics
- The Technology-Productivity-Inequality Nexus
- Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence
- Economic Studies – Analyzes “current and emerging economic issues facing the United States and the world, focusing on ideas to achieve broad-based economic growth, a strong labor market, sound fiscal and monetary policy, and economic opportunity and social mobility. The research aims to increase understanding of how the economy works and what can be done to make it work better.”
- Foreign Policy – A “leading center of policy-relevant scholarship exploring the rapidly re-ordering geopolitics of the great and major powers, and the disordering relations among states and transnational actors in the greater Middle East. Our scholars provide concrete policy recommendations for how U.S. strategy, the international security architecture, and key allies should adapt to changing threats and opportunities.”
- Global Economy and Development – Aims “to shape the policy debate on how to improve global economic cooperation and fight global poverty and sources of social stress. With a long-term vision of strong, sustainable, and balanced growth for a prosperous world, the program undertakes high-quality research, identifies target audiences and policy opportunities, and shares its findings to inform new policy solutions.”
- Governance Studies – Dedicated “to analyzing policy issues, political institutions and processes, and contemporary governance challenges. Our scholarship identifies areas in need of reform and proposes specific solutions with the goals of: improving the performance of the national government; informing debate; and providing policymakers with expert analysis and ideas to ensure better institutional governance.
- Metropolitan Policy Program – Our mission is to deliver research and solutions that help metropolitan leaders build an advanced economy that works for all.
- Brookings Institution Press publishes several dozen books each year. Offers a library of hundreds of books on strategy, nuclear arms, global warming, global politics, food security, etc.
- An extensive library of hundreds of reports, analysis papers, policy briefs, etc.
- Africa’s climate crisis, conflict, and migration challenges (Sept. 2019)
- Implementing a fragility strategy (July 2019)
- The risk of fiscal collapse in coal-reliant communities (July 2019)
- Policy insights from comparing carbon pricing modeling scenarios (May 2019)
- Global economic and environmental outcomes of the Paris Agreement (Jan. 2019)
- Climate Change and Monetary Policy: Dealing with Disruption (Nov. 2017)