It seeks to “empower higher education to lead the sustainability transformation” by enabling institutions “to model and advance sustainability in everything they do, from governance and operations to education and research.” It also conducts an annual Higher Education Sustainability Review highlighting the achievements of >60 institutions worldwide. It sponsors STARS (Sustainable Tracking, Assessment and Rating System) to measure sustainable performance, organizes the annual Sustainability Awards, and holds conferences.
- Campus Sustainability Hub– Gives members access to toolkits and resource collections.
- Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS) – A transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure sustainability performance. Offers its report and data library.
Education and Events:
- Conference & Expo – An annual event that with about ~2,000 participants to exchange effective models, policies, research, collaborations and transformative actions.
- Workshops – Provide hands-on training and skill-building for sustainability leaders
- Webinars – Allows AASHE members to learn about and share approaches for advancing sustainability.
- Annual reports
- Blog and news
- The Bulletin – A weekly news and information source.
- A library of publications on issues, including focused reports, how-to guides and benchmarking tools
- Aggregating Higher Education Demand for Renewables: A Primer (2018, 15p.) – This publication highlights the benefits of aggregating energy demands to source renewable energies by describing best practices for pursuing group.
- The Sustainable Campus Index – An annual report highlighting the most sustainable colleges and universities in 17 impact areas and overall by institution type, as measured by STARS. See the 2018 edition (80p.)