It has an overarching objective to spur sustainable economic development and social progress in its regional member countries (RMCs), thus contributing to poverty reduction. Overall the bank has 80 members, many from outside of Africa.
- Houses over 1000 ongoing or approved projects all over the African continent. Many deal with sustainable living and mitigating or alleviating environmental stresses.
- Drought Resilience in Sudan
- Climate Adaptation for Rural Livelihoods and Agriculture (CARLA)
- Desert to Power (DtP) – Initiated in 2017 “to light up and power the Sahel by building electricity generation capacity of 10 GW through photovoltaic (PV) solar systems via public, private, grid and off-grid projects by 2025”
- Drought Resilience and Sustainable Livelihoods Programme (DRSLP) – aims to “develop regional systems to alleviate the negative impacts caused by the deteriorating environmental conditions in the Horn of Africa.”
- MapAfrica – An interactive map that shows the locations of the Bank’s investments in Africa.
- A data portal with data on their work, member states, and the African economy