Science Based Targets (2014; United Kingdom; 21 staff; sciencebasedtargets.org)
A collaboration between CDP, the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), World Resources Institute (WRI), the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), and the We Mean Business Coalition. They provide companies with a clearly defined pathway to future-proof growth by specifying how much and how quickly they need to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. Targets adopted by companies are considered “science-based” if they are in line with the level of decarbonization as described in the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC AR5).
More than 500 companies are currently participating.
- Showcases companies a set science-based targets through case studies, eventsand media
- Defines and promotes best practice with the support of a Technical Advisory Group
- Offers resources, workshops and guidance to reduce barriers to adoption
- Assesses and approves companies’ targets to bring transparency to carbon emissions.
- Case studies of participating companies like Tesco, Dell, etc.
- Resources like guidelines, manuals, call to actions, presentations, etc.
Leadership: Alexander Farsan (Global Lead)