Pacific Institute (1987; Oakland CA; 25 staff; http://pacinst.org)
Envisions “a world where the basic needs of all people are met, where resources are managed sustainably and the natural world protected, and where conflicts over resources are resolved in a peaceful and democratic fashion.” Seeks real-world solutions to problems like water shortages, habitat destruction, global warming, and environmental injustice.
Issues of concern:
- Articles and Op-Eds, Presentations, TV Stories, and News Shows, Radio and Podcasts,
- Library of 230+ reports, articles, case studies, fact sheets, books
- A collection of tools for researchers, water managers, community organizers, journalists
- A Twenty-First Century U.S. Water Policy (2012, 360p.)
- HIGHLIGHT: The World’s Water (Island Press, Vol 9, 2018, 260p.) – An authoritative series lead by former president and chief editor Petr Gleick that offers insights into critical global water problems, overviews of data and analysis around water use and management, and case studies of some of the greatest water challenges around the world.
Leadership: Jason Morrison (President) Peter H. Gleick (President Emeritus)