National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Response to Terrorism (START; 2005; College Park MD; ~700 staff; https://www.start.umd.edu)
A research and education center out of University of Maryland with the mission to “advance science-based knowledge about the human causes and consequences of terrorism and serve as a leading resource for homeland security policymakers and practitioners […] in an effort to ensure that homeland security policies and operations reflect these understandings about human behaviors.” Through their educational programs, they aim to develop human capital for the homeland security enterprise
- Undergraduate Minors, Graduate Certificate in Terrorism Analysis;
- Online Courses and practitioner-focused trainings;
- Internships, Study Abroad;
- Scholarships and grants, etc.
- Academic papers, reports
- Fact sheets, research briefs, discussion points, etc.
- Datasets on different related subjects
- HIGHLIGHT: ‘Global Terrorism Database’ – open-source; includes information about more than 113,000 terrorist events since 1970
Leadership: William Braniff, Director