Global Governance Institute (2010; Brussels; 38 staff; www.globalgovernance.eu)
An independent, non-profit think tank that brings together policy-makers, scholars and practitioners from the world’s leading institutions in order to devise, strengthen and improve forward-looking approaches to global governance. They work for a more equitable, peaceful and sustainable global order based on effective but accountable international organizations, the global rule of law and the empowerment of the individual across borders and cultures.
Core Research Areas:
- Peace & Security: Tries to strengthen United Nations peacekeeping and peacebuilding efforts; enhancing effectiveness of military and civilian crisis management operations by regional organizations
- Environment & Sustainable Development: Emphasizes importance of the science-policy interface, challenges of designing policy for emerging environmental goods and services, and the environment/global development nexus with regards to the Millennium Development Goals
- Global Economy: Focuses on innovative approaches and legal developments at the intersection of law, economics, peace and security and environmental concerns
- Global Justice: Offers in-depth analysis and targeted answers on all questions of international law in order to promote the rule of law globally, with current research on Responsibility to Protect, Maritime Governance, International Arbitration & Mediation, and International Trade
- European Peace & Security Studies Certificate (EPSS) – A certificate program is a semester-long program that provides in-depth and unique insights into the changing nature and fundamental challenges of contemporary security issues from a distinctly Brussels perspective.
- National Backgrounders – European Foreign Policy – Explores the profile of the twenty-eight Member States of the European Union, in order to offer a general overview of their policy position in the past years, from a regional and an international point of view. For each country, the political system, the foreign policy, the peace and security policy, the economic policy, and other diplomatic priorities are covered.
- European Centre for Global Education – Tries to foster and advance global dialogue on the future of education, nurture innovative thinking throughout all levels of education, and empower policy makers and leaders in education to welcome and promote change as a means for delivering excellence.
- Global Risk Analysis & Crisis Management provides participants with unique insights and fundamental skills required for mastering the field of global risk analysis, early warning and the management of major man-made and natural disasters.
- News & Events
- Library of 50+ reports, analysis, factsheets, national background papers, etc.
Leadership: Prof. Joachim A. Koops (Founding Director)