Desert Research Institute
(1959; Reno, Las Vegas, Boulder City, Storm Peak; ~500 staff; http://www.dri.edu/)
A major research organization, “investigating the effects of natural and human-induced environmental change and advancing technologies aimed at assessing a changing planet. It serves as the non-profit environmental research arm of the Nevada System of Higher Education and applies a scientific understanding, to support the effective management of natural resources.” They run many different research programs and projects.
- Center for International Water and Sustainability – Addresses the “gaps in knowledge, research, and human resource capacity that persist in developing countries and assist in reducing health related issues and in the design of sustainable WASH and environmental programs.” Aims to provide “information and technical capacity to governmental and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) working to identify and solve problems related to human health and the management of environmental resources.”
- WaterStart – A business accelerator, that leverages and coordinates the expertise and infrastructure of partner organizations to provide water innovation services to water management agencies, technology companies, and policy-makers to spur economic growth in the water sector.
- UWASHNetwork – Promotes the expansion and greater coordination of WASH activities in higher education and strengthen universities’ WASH linkages with the U.S. government, NGOs and academic institutions and governments abroad.
Major Research Programs:
- Atmospheric Sciences
- Earth and Ecosystem Sciences
- Hydrologic Sciences
- Applied Innovation Center
- International Water and Sustainability
- Wildland Fire Science Center
- Western Regional Climate Center
Leadership: Kristen Averyt President